Looking after our lovely Apaca’s
Looking after Alpacas has been a real learning experience for those at Caulstown Christmas Tree Farm. From fencing to foot case – we have learnt a lot about these lovely aminals over the last couple of years. We have seen the heard grown from just four Alpacas to now six Alpacas, each with their own unique personalities.
The Alpaca Herd
The Alpaca herd has grown every year since arriving in Caulstown Christmas tree farm, and we love seeing the new baby Alpacas being born every year. It make the Christmas Tree Farm feel extra special every year as we get to experience the birth of the babies!
- Alpaca factsThere are no wild alpacas.
- Alpacas originate from South American ruminants that live high in the Andes.
- Alpacas are related to llamas.
- While llamas are used as pack animals, alpacas are raised mainly for their soft wool.Alpacas are very social creatures. They are gentle and curious
Some tips for when you meet our Alpacas
- Alpacas are very social creatures. They are gentle and curious.
- We found they don’t like their head being touched too much but like to be rubbed
on the neck.
- Alpacas spit when they are distressed or feel threatened. They will sometimes spit at
each other when they are competing for food or trying to establish dominance, according to Switzer. They won’t spit at people or bite unless they have been abused.
Baby Alpacas are called Cria
Alpacas breed once a year.
The female alpaca is pregnant between 242 to 345 days and gives birth to just one offspring.
They like to give birth on their own. The baby alpaca, called a cria, weighs 18 to 20 lbs. (8 to 9 kg) when it is born.
The cria is weaned at 6 to 8 months, and females are ready to reproduce at 12 to 15 months.
Males take a bit longer to mature and are ready to mate at 30 to 36 months. Alpacas live up to 20 years
Remember here at Caulstown Christmas Tree Fram, we have 6 freindly Alpacas who love to meet new people.
We also offer Alpaca walks and have a Santa magical slay for all the family to enjoy so why not pop on down for a authentic family festive morning or afternoon.
We’re located less than 10 minutes from Dunboyne, Clonee, Ratoath ,Kilbride and Hollystown. We’re also located less than 15 minutes away from Blanchardstown, Castleknock, Dunshaughlin and Ashbourne.